With sales in the UK Electronics & Media market, amazon.co.uk generated a revenue of almost US$5.3 billion in 2019, which means it is the leading online store in this segment. In second place is apple.com with a revenue of over US$1.1 billion, followed by argos.co.uk with a revenue of US$0.9 billion. Altogether, the top three online stores account for a market share of 49% within the given segment. Compared to the UK eCommerce market across all segments, where the top three stores account for 22% of the market volume, the Electronics & Media market has a relatively high market concentration.
The Electronics & Media ranking of the UK is based on all online stores that generated sales in this segment in 2019. Due to a country- and category-dependent approach, both national and international online stores can be part of the ranking. The ranking shows a filtered revenue. It only includes national sales within the segment.
One of the fastest growing stores in the UK Electronics & Media market is dronesdirect.co.uk. The store achieved sales of around US$7 million in 2019. Its revenue growth amounts to 110% within the previous year.
Digital Market Outlook by Statista
The Digital Market Outlook presents up-to-date figures on markets of the digital economy. The comparable key figures are based on extensive analyses of relevant indicators from the areas of society, economy, and technology.
Of the five categories considered by ecommerceDB, Electronics & Media is the third largest segment in the UK. It accounts for 19% of the online sales in the United Kingdom, as indicated by the Statista Digital Market Outlook. Over the last year, the revenue of this market has grown by 5%. The predicted compound annual growth rate (CAGR 19-23) for the next four years is 3%. The declining growth rate suggests a moderately flooded market.
Another indicator of market saturation is the online revenue share of 39% in the UK Electronics & Media market, in other words, 39% of the products in this market are bought online.
Looking at the two subcategories of Electronics & Media, Consumer Electronics is the largest. It accounts for 80% of the sales in the market. Books, Movies, Music & Games sales cover the remaining 20% of the market volume.
Depending on which kind of product is shipped and which country a parcel is shipped to, a company chooses to use different shipping service providers. The top three providers in the UK Electronics & Media market are shown in the table on the right. In the UK, DPD is the most frequently offered shipping service provider in eCommerce in the Electronics & Media market in 2019. Of those stores indicating which service they use to transport their goods, 40% cited DPD as one of their providers. Moreover, DHL and UPS (United Parcel Service) are among the top three shipping service companies offered by UK online retailers in the Electronics & Media segment, at rates of 16% and 14% respectively.
Shipping information is based on orders from the store's main country, which is defined as the one where the store generates most of its online revenue. In this case, it is the UK. To have a category-specific evaluation, only stores with a focus on the Electronics & Media category are included. Only stores that provide information about their shipping providers can be considered.
|#||Shipping service provider|
|3.||UPS (United Parcel Service)||14%|