With sales in the U.S. Electronics & Media market, amazon.com generated a revenue of almost US$40.2 billion in 2019, which means it is the leading online store in this segment. In second place is apple.com with a revenue of over US$11.4 billion, followed by bestbuy.com with a revenue of US$6.8 billion. Altogether, the top three online stores account for a market share of 61% within the given segment. Compared to the U.S. eCommerce market across all segments, where the top three stores account for 28% of the market volume, the Electronics & Media market has a relatively high market concentration.
The Electronics & Media ranking of the U.S. is based on all online stores that generated sales in this segment in 2019. Due to a country- and category-dependent approach, both national and international online stores can be part of the ranking. The ranking shows a filtered revenue. It only includes national sales within the segment.
One of the fastest growing stores in the U.S. Electronics & Media market is tigerdirect.com. The store achieved sales of around US$0.3 billion in 2019. Its revenue growth amounts to 110% within the previous year.
Digital Market Outlook by Statista
The Digital Market Outlook presents up-to-date figures on markets of the digital economy. The comparable key figures are based on extensive analyses of relevant indicators from the areas of society, economy, and technology.
Of the five categories considered by ecommerceDB, Electronics & Media is the second largest segment in the U.S. It accounts for 26% of the online sales in the United States, as indicated by the Statista Digital Market Outlook. Over the last year, the revenue of this market has grown by 26%. The predicted compound annual growth rate (CAGR 19-23) for the next four years is 13%. The declining growth rate suggests a moderately flooded market.
Another indicator of market saturation is the online revenue share of 35% in the U.S. Electronics & Media market, in other words, 35% of the products in this market are bought online.
Looking at the two subcategories of Electronics & Media, Consumer Electronics is the largest. It accounts for 78% of the sales in the market. Books, Movies, Music & Games sales cover the remaining 22% of the market volume.
Depending on which kind of product is shipped and which country a parcel is shipped to, a company chooses to use different shipping service providers. The top three providers in the U.S. Electronics & Media market are shown in the table on the right. In the U.S., UPS (United Parcel Service) is the most frequently offered shipping service provider in eCommerce in the Electronics & Media market in 2019. Of those stores indicating which service they use to transport their goods, 58% cited UPS (United Parcel Service) as one of their providers. Moreover, USPS (United States Postal Service) and FedEx are among the top three shipping service companies offered by U.S. online retailers in the Electronics & Media segment, at rates of 57% and 40% respectively.
Shipping information is based on orders from the store's main country, which is defined as the one where the store generates most of its online revenue. In this case, it is the U.S. To have a category-specific evaluation, only stores with a focus on the Electronics & Media category are included. Only stores that provide information about their shipping providers can be considered.
|#||Shipping service provider|
|1.||UPS (United Parcel Service)||58%|
|2.||USPS (United States Postal Service)||57%|