With sales in the German Food & Personal Care market, amazon.de generated a revenue of almost US$0.6 billion in 2019, which means it is the leading online store in this segment. In second place is docmorris.de with a revenue of over US$0.5 billion, followed by shop-apotheke.com with a revenue of US$0.5 billion. Altogether, the top three online stores account for a market share of 18% within the given segment. Compared to the German eCommerce market across all segments, where the top three stores account for 25% of the market volume, the Food & Personal Care market has a relatively low market concentration.
The Food & Personal Care ranking of Germany is based on all online stores that generated sales in this segment in 2019. Due to a country- and category-dependent approach, both national and international online stores can be part of the ranking. The ranking shows a filtered revenue. It only includes national sales within the segment.
One of the fastest growing stores in the German Food & Personal Care market is durstexpress.de. The store achieved sales of around US$11.4 million in 2019. Its revenue growth amounts to 200% within the previous year.
Digital Market Outlook by Statista
The Digital Market Outlook presents up-to-date figures on markets of the digital economy. The comparable key figures are based on extensive analyses of relevant indicators from the areas of society, economy, and technology.
Of the five categories considered by ecommerceDB, Food & Personal Care is the fifth largest segment in Germany. It accounts for 12% of the online sales in Germany, as indicated by the Statista Digital Market Outlook. Over the last year, the revenue of this market has grown by 16%. The predicted compound annual growth rate (CAGR 19-23) for the next four years is 9%. The declining growth rate suggests a moderately flooded market.
Another indicator of market saturation is the online revenue share of 3% in the German Food & Personal Care market, in other words, 3% of the products in this market are bought online.
Looking at the two subcategories of Food & Personal Care, Personal Care is the largest. It accounts for 79% of the sales in the market. Food & Beverages sales cover the remaining 21% of the market volume.
Depending on which kind of product is shipped and which country a parcel is shipped to, a company chooses to use different shipping service providers. The top three providers in the German Food & Personal Care market are shown in the table on the right. In Germany, DHL is the most frequently offered shipping service provider in eCommerce in the Food & Personal Care market in 2019. Of those stores indicating which service they use to transport their goods, 89% cited DHL as one of their providers. Moreover, DPD and UPS (United Parcel Service) are among the top three shipping service companies offered by German online retailers in the Food & Personal Care segment, at rates of 17% and 10% respectively.
Shipping information is based on orders from the store's main country, which is defined as the one where the store generates most of its online revenue. In this case, it is Germany. To have a category-specific evaluation, only stores with a focus on the Food & Personal Care category are included. Only stores that provide information about their shipping providers can be considered.
|#||Shipping service provider|
|3.||UPS (United Parcel Service)||10%|