With sales in the U.S. Food & Personal Care market, amazon.com generated a revenue of almost US$3.7 billion in 2019, which means it is the leading online store in this segment. In second place is walmart.com with a revenue of over US$2.4 billion, followed by amazonfresh.com with a revenue of US$2.3 billion. Altogether, the top three online stores account for a market share of 28% within the given segment. Compared to the U.S. eCommerce market across all segments, where the top three stores account for 28% of the market volume, the Food & Personal Care market has a relatively high market concentration.
The Food & Personal Care ranking of the U.S. is based on all online stores that generated sales in this segment in 2019. Due to a country- and category-dependent approach, both national and international online stores can be part of the ranking. The ranking shows a filtered revenue. It only includes national sales within the segment.
One of the fastest growing stores in the U.S. Food & Personal Care market is carolsdaughter.com. The store achieved sales of around US$0.3 billion in 2019. Its revenue growth amounts to 210% within the previous year.
Digital Market Outlook by Statista
The Digital Market Outlook presents up-to-date figures on markets of the digital economy. The comparable key figures are based on extensive analyses of relevant indicators from the areas of society, economy, and technology.
Of the five categories considered by ecommerceDB, Food & Personal Care is the fifth largest segment in the U.S. It accounts for 8% of the online sales in the United States, as indicated by the Statista Digital Market Outlook. Over the last year, the revenue of this market has grown by 4%. The predicted compound annual growth rate (CAGR 19-23) for the next four years is 2%. The declining growth rate suggests a moderately flooded market.
Another indicator of market saturation is the online revenue share of 2% in the U.S. Food & Personal Care market, in other words, 2% of the products in this market are bought online.
Looking at the two subcategories of Furniture & Appliances, Furniture & Homeware is the largest. It accounts for 71% of the sales in the market. Household Appliances sales cover the remaining 29% of the market volume.
Depending on which kind of product is shipped and which country a parcel is shipped to, a company chooses to use different shipping service providers. The top three providers in the U.S. Food & Personal Care market are shown in the table on the right. In the U.S., UPS (United Parcel Service) is the most frequently offered shipping service provider in eCommerce in the Food & Personal Care market in 2019. Of those stores indicating which service they use to transport their goods, 46% cited UPS (United Parcel Service) as one of their providers. Moreover, USPS (United States Postal Service) and FedEx are among the top three shipping service companies offered by U.S. online retailers in the Food & Personal Care segment, at rates of 45% and 37% respectively.
Shipping information is based on orders from the store's main country, which is defined as the one where the store generates most of its online revenue. In this case, it is the U.S. To have a category-specific evaluation, only stores with a focus on the Food & Personal Care category are included. Only stores that provide information about their shipping providers can be considered.
|#||Shipping service provider|
|1.||UPS (United Parcel Service)||45%|
|2.||USPS (United States Postal Service)||45%|