eCommerce: Luxury Market

Top Luxury Brands: Online Net Sales, Market Concentration & Rankings

The top 25 luxury brands account for over half of the market's online net sales, with their market concentration in recent years grew in online and offline sales.

Article by Nashra Fatima | February 27, 2024

Download

Coming soon

Share

Luxury Market Girl Shopping


Top Luxury Brands in eCommerce: Key Insights

  • Growing Luxury Market: The global luxury market has seen a steady expansion in recent years with a CAGR of 18.4% from US$243 billion in 2020 to US$341 in 2022.

  • Top Brands Lead Online Luxury Sales: Online luxury sales are dominated by a few top brands, such as Louis Vuitton or Coach. The top 25 brands claim over half of the market share.

  • Challenges for Newcomers: Established luxury brands continue to dominate the market, making it difficult for smaller brands to gain a foothold.


The global luxury market grew in recent years. At a rate of 18.4% annually, the market rose from US$243 billion in 2020 to US$341 billion in 2022. However, not every brand can compete. ECDB data shows market concentration, top brands, and their eCommerce sales.    

Top 3 Brands in the Luxury Market

Louis Vuitton, Chanel, and Dior are the top three luxury brands by net sales but the latter two only make a minor share of their sales online. Considering eCommerce sales only, Lao Feng Xiang and Coach follow Louis Vuitton's first place.

ONLINE SALES OF THE TOP 3 LUXURY BRANDS, 2020-2022

Looking at the online sales of the most recent years, all companies could significantly improve its 2021 sales compared to the previous year – especially Coach and Louis Vuitton. The latter took the top spot in the luxury market in that year with online sales of US$2.6 billion.

All brands followed the temporary recession that characterized most eCommerce markets in 2022. The extent to which losses occurred though varied between actors, with Louis Vuitton still managing slight growth as the only one of the top three brands.


Company List banner 1


The Top 25 Luxury Brands Claim Half of Total Online Sales

The just mentioned top three brands account for 13% of luxury eCommerce sales, while the top ten brands generate 32%. More than half of luxury eCommerce sales, 55%, came from the top 25 brands in 2022. The top 100 brands account for 90% of online sales. Ranks 101 to 250 generate the remaining 10%.

MARKET CONCENTRATION OF GLOBAL NET SALES AMONG THE TOP 250 LUXURY BRANDS, 2022

The top three brands, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, and Dior, account for 17% of the total sales in the luxury market, which is almost a fifth of the entire market. The top ten brands claim 41% of the total sales, while the top 25 brands take 61% of luxury retail revenues.

The numbers show that the top ten luxury brands control the majority of the market, generating four out of every ten dollars. This demonstrates a highly consolidated market environment.

Market Concentration of Top Brands Increases

During the pandemic, from 2020 to 2022, the top 25 brands have increased their market concentration by 2.7 percentage points. However, the top 3 brands have decreased their overall market share.

In 2021, the top 3 luxury eCommerce brands lost market share, which dropped from 13.8% to 13.6%, followed by an even further decrease to 13.1% the following year. The top ten brands followed an opposite trend. The online market share showed an improvement in 2021, rising from 31.2% to 31.9%. In 2022 it increased to 32.4%.

ONLINE LUXURY MARKET CONCENTRATION, 2020-2022

The 25 highest ranked luxury brands by eCommerce net sales experienced most notable growth between 2020 and 2022. In 2020, they held a 51.9% market share, which increased to 54.6% in 2022.


Want to Learn More About Our ECDB Markets?


Online Luxury Market: Closing Remarks

The majority of revenues in the online luxury market belongs to big players like Louis Vuitton, Lao Feng Xiang or Coach. Despite losses in 2022 that went in line with global economic developments, luxury products remain a robust category driven by demand from affluent consumers.

As the top luxury brands continue to grow and have the biggest share the market, it will become more challenging for smaller and new brands. Maintaining their position in the market or moving up the rankings will become increasingly difficult if the top brands continue to increase their share of the pie.